Lezane's Ticking

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Kyla's Ticking

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Getting Kyla and Lezane to Read

Each time I pass by a bookshop or view an online bookshop for children, I will tend to 'overbuy' books for Kyla and Lezane. I have many books at home, but they are seldom read by the kids, especially Lezane. Well, I hope, one day, my kids will automatically pick up a book and enjoy reading. My financial controllers,Weikai and Ivy kept telling me that I have so many books, but why am I still spending money on buying more. But I still cannot help but buy and buy...

Now, I have to prompt Kyla to read and bring a book to Lezane, only to have him flip to the back of the book and throw it away. It really makes me wonder if I too boring in the way I engage and teach my kids, so much so that they are so disinterested in reading or maybe, I am just not meant to teach them, must outsource teaching to the outsiders (an excuse for me to send them for enrichment classes).

Whenever I have time, after finishing all the housework, I will try to get Kyla to read and do some handwriting exercises. However, we always end up doing cutting and pasting activities, which is Kyla's favorite activity to-date. I must try to get her interested in Mathematics and learn simple addition and substraction and words recognition. Some people may think she is is too young to learn the abstract logic of Maths and learning words, but to me, never underestimate a child's capacity to learn. As for Lezane, I am trying my best to fit in very short reading time (ie 2 min) with him in between his play. I think he is an experiential learner, while Kyla is both experiential and listener learner.

With our impending plans to move out and being a kiasu mummy, I am starting to buy & stock up workbooks (English, Chinese), books, music CDs, educational materials and etc, so that I will not run out of ideas and activities to teach the kids. Just today alone, I spent $100 on buying simple Science concept books for them. If Weikai knows about it, he will kill me for sure (I have been spending far too much lately...)

No comments:

Post a Comment